PDA

View Full Version : my babies refusing to eat

Marine
06-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Indie & Anna, 2008 baby burms, have been refusing their last few meals. Anna has eaten 3 times & Indie 2 times since I got them. Anna arrived 4-30-09, & Indie arrived 5-7-09. Indie last ate on 5-10-09 & Anna on 5-20-09. Is this normal sometimes with baby burms? They are both in 40gal breeder terrarium setups with 2 hides & a large water dish in a room by themselves with 60% humidity & 86 on hot end temps. Is the temps off or humidity? Any tips would be great :0)
Thanks, Marine

Joel
06-05-2009, 06:27 PM
If your hot side is only 86, I'd bump it up to 89-90. That doesn't seem like enough to throw them off though. Your humidity is tight in the zone. What have you tried to get them to eat so far? Do you wait for them to strike? Do you stand and watch? Have you tried leaving dead prey in the cage overnight?

Aminah_Undone
06-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Personally... and from what I've been told.. your hot end should be 90F ..but your humidity is good. As for the feeding thing, I don't have much to say.

With my snakes ..not just the Burms... they sometimes skip a meal or two, even ..and when they do this, it's usually just a quirk in their butt... nothing major. Of course, I make sure the husbandry and their overall health is monitored for any changes during their little "speel" of holding out ..and as long as all that is fine, I just offer until they take it.

It's frustrating as all heck.. let me assure you.. I was just ranting the other day.. haha! ..but continue to be patient ..and feed the skipped meals to the big lizards :D

Marine
06-05-2009, 07:11 PM
What have you tried to get them to eat so far? Do you wait for them to strike? Do you stand and watch? Have you tried leaving dead prey in the cage overnight?

We have frozen (rats,mice,chicks,quail,guinea pigs) of various sizes. I have tried small mice, large mice, & weanling rat pups too. I use tongs to hold the prey by the tail, to see if they will strike, if they dont, prey is left overnight. I do not stand around watching, I know most of my others hate to be watched while eating, so we get in and put them in their feed tubs, then feed them & get out.
& I will get their temps bumped up more.

Joel
06-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Have you tried placing the food into a small paper sack or box with the snake and leaving them together overnight in confined quarters. This has worked for me in the past.

Marine
06-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Yes we feed them in plastic tubs, and put the tubs back in their cages, in case they get out of the tubs. And I have left f/t prey in overnight, and still nothing.

Marine
06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Chicks are about the only other prey of right size that I have not tried with them. Wasnt sure how well they would take to poultry. I just got a new shipment of frozen feeders in yesterday & we are going to try again Sunday to feed. I also have 1 of Kenyan Sand Boas refused to eat the last 2 times also. I got some extra small pinks for him this time, and more variety of mice & rats too.

Joel
06-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Are the tubs opaque or translucent? If they can see movement and light through the walls of the tub it doesn't give the same effect.

Marine
06-05-2009, 11:04 PM
The tubs are translucent, but the lights were turned off, so they couldnt see any movement, & there wasnt anyone in the room.

Joel
06-05-2009, 11:35 PM
The tubs are translucent, but the lights were turned off, so they couldnt see any movement, & there wasnt anyone in the room.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but you might want to give it a try.

Marine
06-06-2009, 12:50 AM
I've got solid colored tubs, I will try that on Sunday when we feed. Because they are in quarantine, they are the last to be feed and they are in a seperate room, in seperate 40 gallon terrariums.

Jason Golden
06-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Just try throwing a towel over the tote. If you have access to live, pick up and couple and try fresh prekilled. Oh, are they possibly going into shed?

Marine
06-07-2009, 05:26 AM
The male granite (Indie) just shed, about 2 weeks ago, and she (Anna was in shed when we got her about a month ago) has not shown any signs of "blue".
We will try again feeding them later today. Yesterday we went to the Repticon show in Jacksonville FL and got 4 new snakes! Right now we are getting ready for our Herp meeting 3-5 at MOSH (Jacksonville Herpetological Society) & going to the Jacksonville Zoo in FL this morning, which is a little over an hour from here in Brunswick GA.
Thanks to everyone for all the tips too, I really appreciate it! :0) Marine

Denial
06-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey marine. When indie was here he was eating f/t small rats from me. I would just hold there tail and wiggle them in front of him and he would take them. He was one of the burms that never refused anything. His sister on the other hand is a pain in the but she refuses food alot. I dont know if he will take mice because I always feed him rats but if he wont take f/t or prekilled you might want to try live just to get him interested and then after he eats the live offer him a f/t since his feeding response we be kicked back in and hopefully he will be back in the swing of things

PerfectlyFlawed
06-09-2009, 11:12 PM
join the club LOL. my burm is a PIA to feed :( i just kinda hold out on him, and he will eat every 2-4 weeks :( he wont eat either if i leave it in overnight, usually when he does eat i have to kinda bug him with the food and i think he gets mad at it and strikes at it LOL.

btw, poultry is supposed to be like snake crack, but from what i have read and been told, it can be hard to get them to eat other stuff, and its supposed to be really nasty when it comes out the back end LOL one of my friends had a problem burm, he didnt eat for almost a year. she tried everything except poultry. finally she got some leftover turkey from thanksgiving and scented his rats with the leftover turkey, and he has eaten every meal since then LOL. i think she only had to scent 2 or 3 of his rats, after that he just eats the rats without any scenting or other special tricks.

Marine
06-15-2009, 10:45 PM
These 2 babies are still refusing to eat. I have tried everything except live rats, & f/t poultry. But we will be trying again this weekend. I think I will try the poultry senting of f/t rats.
I have lost internet, and am using one at work at the moment, so unfortunately I cant get online as often right now.

Marine
06-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Well we drove to Savannah to get some live rat pups to try, since these 2 were still refusing to eat. They both finally ate 1 hopper rat pup live each, and the female also ate 1 f/t rat pup right after the live. Finally ate! I sure hope they will eat f/t rats now, because Savannah's pet shop is over an hour & half away, long way to drive.
Any tips to help make sure these 2 will eat f/t this upcoming feeding?
My internet is still having problems, I'm looking into getting another internet provider...any tips as a good internet company to use?

Aminah_Undone
06-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad they ate.. as I know how frustrating it can be for them not to.

We use Comcast for our cable connection (we don't do tv, but the phone and internet is with them). The internet is fine.. but the land line thingy is not so great.. *no further comments* Thank goodness for cells.

Crown0826
06-29-2009, 03:48 PM
may i suggest heating the rats head with a blow dryer its all about heat signature when they see the heat they usually go crazy. I have to use it every feeding time with my albino female i let the rats thaw in hot water and then i have to use the wifes blow dryer to heat the heads of the rat i usually heat em to about 110 degrees and with no problems she'll take it but if i don't well she won't even look at it give it a shot if you haven't tried it yet good luck.