PDA

View Full Version : Iguana...

JenHarmon
10-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Well, this is new for me. I have ended up with an iguana that I would guess is between 1 and 3 years old. Now what do I do? It was given to me today because people found it in their yard and no one wanted it to freeze and I had room for it and now I'm trying to figure out what to do. Things I have read says only to feed them fruits and veggies and I read about the UVB light. This thing is awful looking. I don't know if it has had repeatedly bad sheds or what but he has gray looking scab type things on it's hind legs and stomach. It's tail is a little pale and brownish. It is bright and alert and not afraid to hit me with it's tail or threaten to bite me. Although, it will relax and close it's eyes if I hold it close and rub it's head and sides of it's head. Did NOT like being put in the tub. Gonna schedule a vet appt. for ASAP but in the mean time (it could be up to a month with my vet) what on earth am I to do?! You can also see and feel it's ribs...is that normal? I'll try to get pics and post them in the next day or so. I am just trying to let it settle in. I'm glad I picked it up since it is supposed to drop to freezing tonight. Why can't they have bugs and things to eat along with the fruits and veggies? Thanks to anyone who can help me here....I've only owned an annole as far as lizards go and it only lived for a few months.

DR_Sparktrician
10-26-2010, 05:16 AM
I believe that most Iggies are strict vegetarians, but there are a few that eat bugs. Most species also need full spectrum lighting, UVA/UVB, and temperature ranges can vary as well. We need a lot more specifics and possibly a pic, for identification if you are not sure, to even begin to be able to help.

JenHarmon
10-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Well, I know he is green. What specifics do you need? I'll get a pic asap.

Ucowboy
10-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Iguana's never shed quite right. They are strict vegetarians but you'll need to stay away from certain greens. Lettuce offers no nutritional value at all so it's better to feed collard and mustard greens with fruits and veggies mixed in. They love shredded carrots, grapes, bananas, hibiscus flowers, squash, and other veggies and fruits. Do not offer meat as they will not eat it most likely. They are apt climbers so your enclosure needs to be tall enough to support a 4-5 ft beastie when grown. It is normal to see poor shedding on most iggies. The tips of the spikes on the back and flaky shedding elsewhere. They will need a belly heat spot and a basking spot. If the tail is brownish it's most likely because it's a regrowth. Just stick with a mixed diet of fruit veggies and greens. UVA/UVB lighting also recommended.

JenHarmon
10-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info....I didn't know about the belly heat thing...I didn't know if he would burn himself or not so I hadn't given him anything. As far as the greens go, good for him....he likes the same things we do so that should be easy. I also read to make sure that his diet is full of moisture and to mist him daily. Can u tell if it is male or female just by looking at it? Or does it have to be probed and what not like a snake? Snakes sure are easier to deal with....but I couldn't let him freeze to death outside...

DR_Sparktrician
10-26-2010, 12:45 PM
I believe the males have the beard thingy like anoles - sorry I do not know the correct terminology :)

naja-naja
10-26-2010, 03:51 PM
dewlaps ;)

JenHarmon
10-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Well, this one certainly has one of those....and he's not afraid to show it off. He also has a little bit of orange on him. I so do not want to get bit by him from what I have heard....ouch....but I figure after he has settled in here I will handle him more. Kids named him Spike. Do they have ears and hear like normal animals?

DR_Sparktrician
10-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah, what he said :D

Yes they do have ears and hear like most all other animals, if you look at either side of his head you will see a thin membrane this is the actual eardrum and is called the tympanum - I am at home so I had time to look up the terminology :)

Ucowboy
10-27-2010, 02:21 AM
actually both male and female have flaps. The size of the shields on the sides of their head is one way i've heard of visual sexing. Be aware that iguana feces can carry salmonella be sure to keep away from food prep areas. Also iquanas tend to use their drinking bowl as a toilet. You can train them to use the household toilet but it takes time. The belly heat is for digestion only get a heat rock and put it on a rheostat to ensure it doesn't get to hot. They tend to bask on rocks in direct sunlight in the wild so it makes sense. They are apt climbers watch your curtains if you let him run around and his tail is stiff enough to break skin when he whips you with it.

JenHarmon
10-27-2010, 07:58 AM
You don't have to worry about him being in the kitchen or anything. I would not let it run around my house....I have to admit, I'm a little scared of it. Besides, I have a 1 year old and cats...I don't think that would be a good idea. Someone or something (probably me) would get hurt. You mean to tell me people let them run around thier house?!

Ucowboy
10-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Yes people let them run around the house. Iquana's (mostly males) will show extreme agression during breeding season. Lot's of tail whipping and bites occur during that time. However iquana's can be quite calm and make excellent pets if trained and handled appropriately. I do not suggest allowing them to free roam the house. Furniture,curtains, food contamination risks all would be too much to worry about. They are quite fast runners in a dead sprint as well so catching one is a chore. Good luck and keep us posted on his progress.

JenHarmon
10-29-2010, 08:56 PM
This one must be male. He's awfully grumpy. I have to use a towel to get him out of his cage because he does try to bite and his tail hurts. I hope to find him a home before long...

Jermosh
01-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Iggies can make a great pet for certain people, but they need care and space. They are very smart, mine was actually toilet trained and had full reign of my home. Full males can do serios damage with tail though, even break small bones. You need to handle alot and clip nails as well. My vet has an indoor pen that leads outdoors and his iggy will actually move back and forth with a soft flap pet door.

JenHarmon
01-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Iggies can make a great pet for certain people, but they need care and space. They are very smart, mine was actually toilet trained and had full reign of my home. Full males can do serios damage with tail though, even break small bones. You need to handle alot and clip nails as well. My vet has an indoor pen that leads outdoors and his iggy will actually move back and forth with a soft flap pet door.

Well, I gave mine away to someone who knew a lot more than me about it...lol! I have kids and cats and goodness knows what else running around my house....but I am not about to let a lizard loose in my house. Thing would end up in my bed and I'd probably kill myself trying to get away from it...lol!!! Snakes are wonderful but I'm scared of lizards a bit.....LOL!!!

Jermosh
01-31-2011, 08:57 AM

Well, I gave mine away to someone who knew a lot more than me about it...lol! I have kids and cats and goodness knows what else running around my house....but I am not about to let a lizard loose in my house. Thing would end up in my bed and I'd probably kill myself trying to get away from it...lol!!! Snakes are wonderful but I'm scared of lizards a bit.....LOL!!!

Thanks for doing the right thing! You would be amazed on where we find herps abandoned at.

Yes Dino would snuggle with me in bed time to time as well, not for the faint of heart for sure.

JenHarmon
01-31-2011, 09:14 AM
I always try to do the right thing with my kids and animals. I know so many don't. I just wanted him to have a good home. :-)

Sbauer86
01-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Well most people will let it free roam in a room not the whole house. I've raised iggies before and they are wonderful pets and very easy to take care of; but not for everyone so good choice on letting it go!