PDA

View Full Version : breeding question

WtGreg
03-12-2009, 08:28 AM
I have bred boas and always kept pythons, but never bred the burms. Simply, I am asking are patterns and signs for burms the same as boas? Reason I ask: I have a burm that is building rapidly in girth, but otherwise has not shown any signs: change in eating habits, activity, or any signs for that matter including any attempts by the male to mate with her. Further, I did not do anything to induce any of my snakes with light or temps this year (Though I did keep a male in with this female for space). I would jump more to the conclusion that she is becoming a big girl and i have just been oblivious, but her size has built pretty rapidly from her mid torso to her vent for that to be the case.

Joel
03-12-2009, 10:08 AM
If you are keeping them housed together, it is a possibility. The females typically go off of food while they are gravid. Maybe you are looking at ovulation? Have any pics?

WtGreg
03-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Will work on pics later.

I thought she would start showing signs like going off food, so since not, she could be just *tear* growing up so fast before my eyes *tear*, lol..... actually I do not know what her age is, but she is smaller than I would think to breed. I had a burm posted for sale on here a while ago that was 9 feet and this girl is just now hitting that.

Like I said, I will work on pics later.

WtGreg
03-12-2009, 10:55 AM
on the note of my last post, because of her size, I am not thinking she is gravid, but has anyone had burms go gravid at that size? lol, this is why I bred boas, not burms...

Joel
03-12-2009, 11:57 AM
While it is not recommended, they will breed at that size.

Sam Bearden
03-12-2009, 02:04 PM
It could be a nice growth spirt they hit those every once in awhile but here's to hoping.....
But to be perfectly honest if she is still eating like normal chances are she is just getting pudgy...

WtGreg
04-02-2009, 07:01 AM
I will not know anymore. I appreciate the information, but had to sell her because my fiance didn't like her 'attitude.' hmmmm...... so when do I tell my fiance I have my eyes on another female (burm that is).....? I mean, the male burm I wouldn't get rid of has to have a lady friend!!!!