View Full Version : Oklahoma Exotic Laws

12-04-2011, 01:00 PM
The boyfriend and I have been planning for some time to move back to his home state. We've decided that we're going to move in the spring. I've been trying to find Oklahoma's law regarding keeping of exotics, but the only thing I've found that's probably the most current is this: http://www.ehow.com/list_6582420_oklahoma-exotic-pet-regulations.html

If I reading correctly only native wildlife and big exotics require a license to own or breed. But it also states that anyone wanting to possess own or breed any wild animal must apply for a license. Does this include CBB animals?

How correct and up to date is this or can anyone give me a link for better information? I'd like to start getting prepared for whatever I need to do to take my animals with me.

Thanks for any help!

12-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Oklahoma's Exotic Animal Law states that anyone wishing to possess wildlife, which can also include exotic animals for pets, must have the same permit that an individual would need for possessing or raising these animals for commercial purposes. With this law in place, it is important for anyone wishing to have an exotic animal for a pet in Oklahoma to study and research the law in order to become aware of the permits necessary and the procedure required to acquire such permits.
Oklahoma Statute Title 29, 4-107 is the law responsible for regulating possession of wildlife or exotic animals either as pets or as a commercial venture. According to this state law, no one can possess, breed or raise any wild animal without first applying for and receiving a license or permit from the Director of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. The exception to this law are fish, aquatic reptiles, amphibians, aquatic invertebrates and exotic livestock. The Director of Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation can issue a license to anyone who he believes is acting in good faith and whom the director believes will not violate any State of Oklahoma laws while possessing this license. The licensee also has to prove to the director that they will not obtain any brood stock he may use in any illegal manner. The fee for this wildlife license is $48 and all renewals for this license are also $48.

Oklahoma Statute Title 29, 4-107 also provides for possessing cats or bears. According to this law, it is illegal for anyone to sell cats or bears to another individual who does not have the Oklahoma commercial wildlife breeder's license or a noncommercial wildlife breeder's license. This law also states that anyone who possesses a cat or bear that is expected to weigh more than 50 pounds when grown must keep the animal in an confinement so that the animal remains controlled and restrained so that anyone entering the premises will not be in danger of loosing life or limb.

Oklahoma Statute Title 29, 4-107 also states that anyone convicted of violations related to this particular law will be punished by a fine of at least $100. The person convicted of violations may also face revokation of their wildlife license. If their wildlife license is revoked, the individual will not be elgible for a new license until after the revoked license expiration date has passed.

With a little bit of work, it is possible to have exotic animals as pets in the State of Oklahoma. But it is also recommend that the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation be contacted by the individual wishing to possess an exotic animal. With this contact the person can find out for sure what steps they will need to take to make sure that possession of the exotic pet is legal in the State of Oklahoma.Oklahoma Statute Title 29, 4-107

12-05-2011, 11:38 AM
arent both bob clark and mike wilibanks both based on OK? with both of them having quite large collections of big snakes, i assume that there is a way to keep them there.

12-05-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm trying to get clarification if I'm going to need a permit or a license just to own/possess them. I'll see if I can't find the number to the wildlife conservation and hope they can give me better clarification. Maybe they'll know their state laws where La doesn't seem to know jack lol