PDA

View Full Version : Confused please help enlighten me

RRJuggalo
01-24-2012, 06:02 PM
I am writing as your constituent in the 11th Congressional district of Texas. I oppose H.R.2811 - To amend title 18, United States Code, to include constrictor snakes of the species Python genera as an injurious animal., and am tracking it using OpenCongress.org, the free public resource website for government transparency and accountability.
I am a Disabled Combat Veteran and trying to ban the very animals I have as pets is not right. Many men and women in the U.S. Military have these same types of pythons as pets and this ban would prevent them from taking their animals with them when they move out of state.
This bill will also take away millions of dollars of revenue away from the U.S. if passed. Many breeders of these snakes in the U.S. will lose their main source of income and will be unemployed as well as the people they employ.
This bill was written on bogus science. It is a proven fact that Burmese Pythons can not live outside of southern Florida. In Texas you have to have a permit to own Burmese Pythons, North and South African pythons and Anacondas. I do agree with having to have permits and even a law about having to microchip a snake would be reasonable, but an all out ban is not.
I ask you in this letter to please oppose H.R.2811. Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee opposes this bill and 96% of users on OpenCongress.org, a free, non-partisan resource, oppose H.R.2811. So please help us in our fight to be able to keep the animals so many of us love. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Tommy Garrett

So this is a letter I sent to Congress woman Kay Bailey Hutchinson from Texas. Below is the email I recieved back. Now I'm confused. What is the return Email saying? Is it just me or is it saying she don't give a shit?

Dear Friend:
Thank you for contacting me regarding S. 373, a proposed bill that would add the entire Python species to the ?injurious wildlife? list under the Lacey Act.? I welcome your thoughts and comments.

On February 3, 2009, Senator Bill Nelson (R-FL) introduced this bill, which would amend title 18, United States Code, to include constrictor snakes of the Python species as an injurious animal.? S. 373 was referred to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works but was not considered by the full Senate prior to the adjournment of the 111th Congress. Should this legislation be reintroduced in the 112th Congress, you may be certain I will keep your views in mind.

I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue that is important to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator

284 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-5922 (tel)
202-224-0776 (fax)
http://hutchison.senate.gov

Like I said I am confused lol. Will somebody please help me out here? Thanks

Sparkki
01-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Ummm.. idk?! im just as confused as you.. lol

RRJuggalo
01-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Ok I feel better now that I am not the only one confused by the response.

Amaddox
01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
This is the pre-written response that a lot of these useless figureheads are sending back. In other words, "I want your vote but I don't care enough to read your letter and your issue doesn't matter to me." a lot of people have gotten the same response but with their representatives name instead. Pity. That was a very well written letter. I applaud you.

RRJuggalo
01-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the props on the letter that makes me feel better on the way that I wrote it lol. I sent that same letter to some other "FIGURE HEADS". I kind of figured it was an automated response but hey I'm doing what I can to try and get this crap over turned

Sparkki
01-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Every little bit counts!

Pirarucu
01-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Andy said it, they just pre-write a letter.

Either that or something like this, which they usually never follow through on.
Dear Sean Barnett,

Thank you for contacting my offices. Your correspondence has been received, and we will respond to you as quickly as possible. A copy of your message is attached below for your records.

If you need immediate assistance regarding an urgent problem you are experiencing with the federal government, visit the "Help With Federal Agencies" section of the website for details on how to proceed so that your difficulties are brought to my attention as soon as possible.

If you are seeking information or services from my offices that are NOT related to my Legislative duties, please visit my "Services For Texans" section for more information.

Warmest Regards,
U.S. Senator John Cornyn

This one I did get a follow-up on, this was from an email I sent to him two years ago. Though I'm not sure if it was a cookie cutter response or not. Though, it does sound like he's on our side.

Dear Mr. Barnett:

Thank you for contacting me regarding legislation to regulate the importation of certain exotic or non-native animal species. I appreciate having the benefit of your views on this matter.

As you know, several measures that would regulate the importation of exotic wildlife are currently under consideration. The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (H.R. 669) would direct the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to evaluate the risk of a nonnative species before approving it for importation—a measure aimed at curtailing the invasion of local ecosystems by foreign species with no natural predators. Similarly, Senate Bill 373 (S. 373) would designate python snakes as an “injurious species” under the United States Code, thereby banning the species from being shipped or imported into the U.S.

I understand the importance of protecting our environment and population against the incursion of invasive species; however, I am concerned that these measures may not provide the flexibility required for Texas’ legitimate wild and exotic animal enterprises such as the pet industry, zoos, game ranches, and wildlife conservation activities. Historically, state laws and local ordinances have been established to regulate pet and wildlife ownership, and I believe that governance over this matter should be reserved for state and local entities.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will keep your thoughts in mind should the Senate consider these or other relevant pieces of legislation during the 111th Congress. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

RRJuggalo
01-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks for all the input guys now I don't feel so stupid