PDA

View Full Version : common boas

jermzburm
05-12-2009, 02:57 PM
what is the proper humidity?

Sakara
05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
should keep it around 50-60% and they will be happy :)

The Snake Guru
05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Agreed.

With a bump to 70% during the shed cycle.

~B~

jermzburm
05-13-2009, 10:53 AM
thanks you. just had to settle an argument.

balor223
05-20-2009, 07:16 AM
i usually keep mine aorund 60% then bump to 70-75% depending on the snake in question with mine. but i also live in the desert and have to compensate for it. so i tend to spray mine down 2 maybe 3 times a day.

PerfectlyFlawed
05-27-2009, 07:18 PM
i like to keep mine between 60-70% and bump it up to about 80% during a shed....from what ive been told some of the bigger name breeders keep higher humidity and one of our vets told me to bring it up after i told her i keep it between 50-60% :/

HarveysHerps
05-28-2009, 03:07 PM
I agree with PF on this one. A little higher humidity doesn't hurt anything. They can stand it down to 45% but it isn't a good idea during shedding. Main thing with boas is if you humidity is low. Make sure they have a large soaking pan. Some places it is hard to maintain high humidity. I spray mine several times a day. But I'm home all the time to be able to do so.

PerfectlyFlawed
05-28-2009, 03:14 PM
ya know, what i have been wanting to add to my snake cages? well at least for the smaller ones? a humidity bin. just a plastic bin where i can put a bunch of moist moss or something and cut a hole big enough for the snake to fit through.....if they ever want more humidity, the humid box is there :) i dont think it would work out all that great for the large ones though unless you have a larger cage LOL.

HarveysHerps
05-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I've often thought of doing that. I keep my boas in a rack so in a sense they are in a sweat box. LOL My boas always shed in one piece. Racks are the way to go. My larger enclosures have huge water bowls. But I prefer raining on them from time to time. The misting just seems to help them so much. Humidity plays a large roll in the breathing.

PerfectlyFlawed
05-28-2009, 10:00 PM
yea right now ive got a stack of AP cages for some of my male boas, and ive got another 4ft rack with a bunch of tubs for the younguns and subadults. ill need another stack of 6ft cages and 2 or 3 8ft cages soon enough LOL.

HarveysHerps
05-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I know how that is . I've got a hole 2 rooms of the snake house that are nothing but Burm cages. My boas are at the new house.My bedroom is full in the new house with racks for my boas. And a Breeder cage. Pretty soon I'm gonna be decorating with cages and snakes. lol I wished I had set up for Burms and Retics . That was kinda like a rack. But with drawers like a dresser or chest. It's hard to do for an 18 ft. Burm but if My others had one. It would help on the room. My 18 ft. female normal is in a 10 ft. x 3ft. cage. Cages that big aren't cheap to build. I'm thinking of making a room that is just for her and maybe another. Put on of those ponds from Lowes in the floor and let them have the hole room. Which is 20 x 20. Should be plenty of room. What do you think?