Thread: Burmese Python Breeding Guide

Burmese Python Breeding Guide

Hi

Could any of the very experienced breeders please write a breif guide on how they successfully breed there burms.

This would be extremely helpful to me and most probably a lot of others.

Cheers
    Chris

RE: Burmese Python Breeding Guide

Well I was actually talking to another breeder yesterday and it is funny you should ask this today because we where talking about when asked about breeding what our responses are.
    So here it is..
    I have no problem telling you what I do but it may or may not work for you.
    Different climate as well as altitude in combination with seasonal dry air or very moist air will affect your ability to breed.
    But the thing that does not change is putting the male and female together sometime between October and March and seeing if they will do the deed.

Now as far as temps I don't mess with them my temps are the same year round. Others drop their temps and then cycle their snakes I don't and it works for me.

So there is no perfect guide or plan it is trial and error you have to find what works for you.

The basics are always going to come into play but you have to tweek it out yourself..

In my limited experience I have found that all I have to do is introduce a male to a female. I don't change my temps either. If the male shows interest, he stays in with the female until it looks like he isn't interested anymore. If he shows no interest, I try again in a couple weeks.

Well I put my male Albino Labyrinth in with my female Albino Labyrinth and he was all over her spuring etc but I never actually saw them lock up. He is still in there now but they are just curled up together and not doing much now. I suppose they could have locked up overnight but I am not sure whether to move my male onto the next female I want him to breed.

How long would you guys recommend I leave them together for? They have been together for under a week and have like I said witnessed breeding activtivty but not actually seen a lock myself.

Any help would be great,

Thanks
    Chris

I have a male per female right now so I do a week or so on then a few days off but if you are using a male for multiple females I would do a week at a time with a couple days off between females.

Ok Sam, thanks for your advise.
    I was cycling them and doing a temp drop at night with a slightly lower day time temp. However I think I am going to go back to normal temps. They showed an interest in each other before I changed the temps.

Ill stick my hot spot back up to 92F and see what happens.

Any other tips would be great.

Thanks

If I may jump in on the knowledge tapping here for a moment, say you put 2 together and they hook up the same day, and you are a witness to them physically locked up for over an hour and the next morning they are apart? Would it be good to seperate them at that point? Now that you are positive they have locked up, should they be put back together again if they have been seperated? This is feeding week, and I'm aware the female shouldn't be fed at this point but what about the male while he's on his break? Also, now that they have done the deed (ASSuming it takes) what are the first signs I should be looking for with the female, the swell?

Even if they hook up right away, I leave the male in for at least a week at a time. I keep running a male with a female until I see her ovulate. Then I will let the male rest up for the next lady he will meet. It's okay to try to feed when they are separated as well. It's a good litmus test for females because they typically won't eat while gravid.

Burm Crazy!!

How do you know when the female ovulates? sorry if this is a dumb question just curious..

they swell up

Yessir, the swell.I've had mine together for 7 days now and personally seen them ooked up at least 4 times, so I'm looking (hoping) for the swell now.

How fast long does it take for the female to swell up after succesfull locks? a week, 2 weeks, longer? Also do you put a male in the females cage or female in males cage, or doesnt matter...
    How often should you wait to introduce if you just fed them..

Not sure if I'm doing it right but I don't drop temps. I start pairing at the end of October, and up until today I have never had it matter what animal went in who's cage. Ive been pairing my granite and green in the female's cage for the past couple weeks with no interest from him at all. Today while cleaning I put her in his cage and he started arching away lol.
    I continue to pair them and offer food until he shows no interest in breeding her and/or she refuses food. I give them a day or to off after feeding, usually once they start roaming the cage again.