Thread: Fluffy's Mansion

Fluffy's Mansion

I have received a few inquiries as to my large cage. It is no closet, but it is a small house in some countries :P

The 2x4's at the corners are 4' tall and serve as a very convenient coat rack, but are intended to be tie points as well as positive locks for when I complete and finish out the cage system (3' more vertically - my animals are pets that I have chosen to showcase in my living room). The interior space is 2.5' tall with an exterior foot print of 4'x8'.

A few shots of the door slide construction (all threaded hardware is national course):
    3/16" X 2" Aluminum flat bar
    1/4" X LONG Flathead Screws
    1/4" Flanged Wood Nuts
    1/4" SAE cut washers
    1/4" X 3/4" long rod couplings
    1/4" Stainless Steel Finishing Washers
    1/4" Acrylic Sheet

You do not need to use multiple pieces of aluminum on the sides and top, their only purpose is to offer enough support to not let 'em out.

The mating surfaces of the framing to the interior of the cage got a shot of caulking or liquid nails of some variety.

The all important access to power for heat. Everything I used was rated for 20 amps / 125 Volts. Before I complete everything for what I have in mind, there will be two 20 amp circuits installed behind the cages.

Before you say I have gone crazy with lights, I do cycle the lights and the entire hot end of the cage is evenly heated. I run 2 75watt black lights continuously and 2 60watt lights for a day time cycle (this is over 2 amps during the day). That is also what the red 'thing' is over the switch prior, lock out device for light switch. The reason that there are six holes total is because I did not know what I would have to have and for flexibility. To protect my babies from the heat of the lights and their escape, I used:
    1/4" rabbit wire
    5/16" Carriage Bolts (it is what I had)
    3/8" plywood
    Caulking to glue the peg board to the wire and plywood backer

Top side

Inside

The water source that I chose was a single bay kitchen sink. You can get the faucet hole caps at any harware store, as well as everything else that you will need. 1 1/4" pipe works very well for me and yes it is a pain in the but to clean, but I still enjoy it.

I chose to use plywood and laminate it with pvc sheeting, copious amounts of silicone sealant and wood frame construction because what I want will be lighter that way. If you were to use melamine it would be heavier, but you would also have fewer steps and less toxic fumes to deal with (the frp and pvc glue is ROUGH). I chose to use pegboard for the ceiling for additional ventilation.

Feel free to ask any questions.

RE: Fluffy's Mansion

very nice, thats one hell of a cage!! i like the idea of pegboard for ceiling! hope you dont mind if i steal that little tid-bit!

It is not copyrighted

FT Nanny 2 my Inner Child

Nice lookin' cage there, Doc! I may be pickin' your brain on the sliding door track issue, very soon

..and Fluffy looks like she approves of the kitchen sink

Quote Originally Posted by Aminah_Undone
    Nice lookin' cage there, Doc! I may be pickin' your brain on the sliding door track issue, very soon

..and Fluffy looks like she approves of the kitchen sink
    Ask any time you are ready. Like I said I have been getting a few questions and I would just prefer to deal with them in the open for the benefit of all interested.

HE likes his sink very well :P It will be too small for him when he is mature possibly, I could not find a reasonably priced mop sink.

Too bad you're not closer.. there's a mop sink in the backyard.. I put geraniums in it cuz I didn't know what else to do with it

Tell Fluffy.. sorry.. I shouldn't "ass u me" so much :P

Very nice cage, I really love the idea of the sink in there! And plumbing too :0) Makes it easier to clean it out. I too like the pegboard, I've seen it used as a backboard before, but not on top. I think used on top would be better than the back anyhow. Have you, or anyone else used "Hydrostop" inside the cage to seal it, instead of using pvc sheeting, melamine, formica laminent, or other?
    P.S. Does he use/crawl/climb on the wood ladder? Very cool looking in there!

Maybe you could save your mop sink for your cage

I have been asked about the Hydrostop before, but have never used it personally.

The peg board is doing very well, but I would not recommend it for anything needing over 70% humidity.

Yes, he does use the ladder. He also uses the shelf as well, top and bottom. The next time I go cut wood, I will be keeping an eye out for a nice branch or even a small tree trunk to swap it out with.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine
    Very nice cage, I really love the idea of the sink in there! And plumbing too :0) Makes it easier to clean it out. I too like the pegboard, I've seen it used as a backboard before, but not on top. I think used on top would be better than the back anyhow. Have you, or anyone else used "Hydrostop" inside the cage to seal it, instead of using pvc sheeting, melamine, formica laminent, or other?
    P.S. Does he use/crawl/climb on the wood ladder? Very cool looking in there!
    someone else on the forum made mention of using hydrostop as a sealant, and i researched it, trying to make sure if its the right seal. i did find that its mostly recommended for bricks and masonry. there was nothing mentioned about wood. i've never used it and as long as things seem okay i'm gonna be using that on my tanks. the thing with the melamine is that its so damn heavy. regular plywood would work just fine and its cheaper and lighter. i've been on a mission over the past 2 weeks debating and studying exactly which materials to use.

I will be building a few tort' tables here in the near future (this year) and will be using melamine for them, sulcatas will be occupieing them in the winter time so I need a hard solid structure that can take the abuse. There is nothing at all wrong with melamine, it is just so damned heavy. In fact most of your commercial rack systems are made using melamine.

As for leaving wood bare, this includes painting or sealing with anything, you will have periodic maintnance and you will need to repaint or reseal at some rate. You still have maintnance with veneers too, but it is limited to caulking.

I would like to know your measurements, and tips when you get started on your tort table, I need to get my husband to build one, but not sure on what size is best.

My husband is a general contractor, and when he built the 6'x2'x2' plywood cage for the 10ft albino burm I rescued in early Dec, he used hydrostop as a sealant, along with caulking.

I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of it being used. Its worked well the past few weeks, but initial cost is high, but a little goes a long way, so we have plenty more to use on future cages. So hopefully in the long run, it will be well worth it & its paintable, if you don't like the color

HEY we are both married! :P I am not giving you my measurements

I will probably end up going about 18-20" for the living space elevation on the walls with a 4x4 dadoed to act as a top rail. Miter cut 4x4's in half with a rip cut to gusset the inside corner while making a rabbet cut to truss the outside for appearances as well as strength. There is already a 4'x8' pallet in place which I plan to add the walls to.

I will check with you from time to time on the Hydrostop if you do not mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DR_Sparktrician
    HEY we are both married! :P I am not giving you my measurements

I will probably end up going about 18-20" for the living space elevation on the walls with a 4x4 dadoed to act as a top rail. Miter cut 4x4's in half with a rip cut to gusset the inside corner while making a rabbet cut to truss the outside for appearances as well as strength. There is already a 4'x8' pallet in place which I plan to add the walls to.

I will check with you from time to time on the Hydrostop if you do not mind.
    LMAO!!! hahahaha

Ok, I said my husband is the contractor, not me, I will have to show him what you wrote, cuz I havent got a clue, lol.

Not a problem, this was the first time we tried the hydrostop, and will be using on the second cage when its finished, its a 8'x'4'x2' with an 8'x2' shelf (construction was paused on it until the attic is converted over, so we can move it up there-after its built, its not being moved anywhere, esp not upstairs! lol)

PS My husband says you must be a cabinet maker! With all that fancy talk, lol. :P He understood, but I didnt have a clue!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine
    PS My husband says you must be a cabinet maker! With all that fancy talk, lol. :P He understood, but I didnt have a clue!
    No, just a smart@$$ know it all electrician I do have a VERY broad range of skills though.

I just want to know when you are visiting CA.. between you, B and my neighbor.. I can have some fantastic enclosures put together for my "fat kids"

My PawPaw had a full blown woodworking shop ..I understood most of that stuff. I even know how to do most of that stuff.. but my hubby thinks power tools are not "lady like" or something

He got over the snakes, he can get over the tools. Cages are expensive to buy Hell, there were girls in all of the workshop classes I was ever in, trade school too.

Very nice vivarium! Hey what kind of ply did you use up top around the lights that you routered? Only lumber Iv used with my router is mdf because most other woods splinter really bad during the cut out