Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: is there a reason why cages are not made of metal?

  1. #1
    Senior Member dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sumter sc
    Posts
    400

    is there a reason why cages are not made of metal?

    We are rebuilding our cages. The husband found this aluminum sheeting. It comes in 6'x16' sheets. It is used for the polished surface of high rise buildings. It 1/8" thick with a fireproof layer inbetween. He can get this for $20 a sheet. What do some of you who have more experience building cages think about useing this to build snake cages? Thanks we just want to do the best we can for these animals in oour care.

  2. #2
    I am not sure, but I think that as strong as they may be and weather proof, Urine from a snake may break down the metal some over time.. Just a thought.. I am not 100% sure..
    Sam~Bearden~A.K.A.~JUGGALO
    burmjunkie@gmail.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    1,214
    Good question, other then its poor thermal control, and an electrical issue. But there might be a concern with skin reaction from the metal though.

  4. #4
    Senior Member CinderellaBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral FL
    Posts
    734
    The snake piss WILL rust/corrode the metal.
    "I smell varmint poontang, and the only good varmint poontang is DEAD varmint poontang.......I think"

  5. #5
    Senior Member dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sumter sc
    Posts
    400
    The metal he found is aluminum so it will not rust. Its used in big cites on the out side of buildings I would think if it will hold up to pigon poo it should hold up to burm poo that's cleaned up soon after they go. Just a thought. Sam if you guys will be in columbia next month well bring some up for you to see in person.

  6. #6
    We will be there but I wasn't worried so much about rust as i was corrosion. Pigeon poop is way less caustic than Burmese python piss. Burm poo is not to bad, but their piss will do some damage I would bet.

    Posted from my Burm RAZR.
    Sam~Bearden~A.K.A.~JUGGALO
    burmjunkie@gmail.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member CinderellaBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral FL
    Posts
    734
    Well that's why I put both, but in this case it would corrosion that WOULD be your problem. This problem would stem from urine, not poop. Sounds to me like your mind is made up, so I say go ahead and use some and we'll start up this conversation again when you're looking for ideas on how to stop/reverse the corrosion problem you will be having at that point.
    "I smell varmint poontang, and the only good varmint poontang is DEAD varmint poontang.......I think"

  8. #8
    This link might help you make a decision.

    http://www.theruststore.com/Does-Alu...ust-W26C2.aspx

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    1,214
    I can try to balance the reaction, but uric acid will decay alluminum oxide, meaning the protective barrier would be erased. The only real option would to try SS sheeting, which is better thermally.

  10. #10
    Metal's extremely conductive of heat, so thermoregulation becomes a hassle for the snake. The metal could just absorb the heat which would then travel through the metal to the whole cage, making it an oven, or the snake would heat up extremely fast on one side and cool down extremely fast on the other. Then there's the electrical issues, which I shouldn't even need to give details on.. And then there's the corrosion from the piss. All around, there's just no really good reason to use it.
    I believe there is a company that makes cages with aluminum framing, with PVC walls. Those cages are supposed to be very high quality, but they're expensive...
    Not what, but when, who, why and how are the main questions, none of which will be an easy answer. However due to this fact and misinformation about said information, one would wonder where I am going with this. It is of course a great pondering for such persons which by now would have no clue as to what the hell I am talking about. However this would be above and beyond the basic explanation of such. But the simple fact is I am studying to be a politician. Questions?

  11. #11
    Senior Member dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sumter sc
    Posts
    400
    Great things to research more on. We'll try to put freash droppings on it and see just what happens. We where just thinking that if it could hold up to everything mother nature throughs at it it would hold up here to. We have to build around 80 cages and need to make sure there the right cages for them. We can not afford to buy premade. What about coating the inside with fiber glass or something?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,666
    as others have point out a electrical issue would be frist on my mind and now that piraurcu has pointed out that it could turn into a oven would put me off!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    1,214
    You can get sheets of HDPVC fairly cheap, it cuts just like wood.

  14. #14
    Senior Member dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sumter sc
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
    as others have point out a electrical issue would be frist on my mind and now that piraurcu has pointed out that it could turn into a oven would put me off!
    Heat transferance sould'nt be a problem its being used for deer blindes and dog boxes. They stay surprizingly cool. When its 95degrees out inside the dog box it 82. But we do understand the worries.

  15. #15
    Senior Member dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sumter sc
    Posts
    400
    We will have to check into that. Have any of you worked with this?

  16. #16
    Senior Member CinderellaBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral FL
    Posts
    734
    "I smell varmint poontang, and the only good varmint poontang is DEAD varmint poontang.......I think"

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    Heat transferance sould'nt be a problem its being used for deer blindes and dog boxes. They stay surprizingly cool. When its 95degrees out inside the dog box it 82. But we do understand the worries.
    try making just one and run a heater in it and see how it worksd over a week or so and by making just a small one it will give you a answer to the issues brought up here!! the coating of the metal could work but its the over heating that keep me thinking its a bad idea. but you will lose nothing by trying to make just one!!
    keep us all posted on how you get on!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    We will have to check into that. Have any of you worked with this?
    HDPVC? I work with it at work, but many cage builders use the material. Having a nice router is nice.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    Heat transferance sould'nt be a problem its being used for deer blindes and dog boxes. They stay surprizingly cool. When its 95degrees out inside the dog box it 82. But we do understand the worries.
    But on the other hand, in that instance the heat source is outside instead of inside.
    Not what, but when, who, why and how are the main questions, none of which will be an easy answer. However due to this fact and misinformation about said information, one would wonder where I am going with this. It is of course a great pondering for such persons which by now would have no clue as to what the hell I am talking about. However this would be above and beyond the basic explanation of such. But the simple fact is I am studying to be a politician. Questions?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaBoy View Post
    This, LOL.
    Not what, but when, who, why and how are the main questions, none of which will be an easy answer. However due to this fact and misinformation about said information, one would wonder where I am going with this. It is of course a great pondering for such persons which by now would have no clue as to what the hell I am talking about. However this would be above and beyond the basic explanation of such. But the simple fact is I am studying to be a politician. Questions?

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    1,214
    US plastics is having a clearence on PP sheets and channels.

    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/def...arentcatid=497

  22. #22
    It's never just one.... Muggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    566
    Sorry I'm with you guys, Ali sheets is not a good idea, sooo many things can and will go wrong, corroded aluminium is a biatch to clean at the best of times, but not being able to clean it with the usual tools will make things über shitty, than as you say electrical hazards, temp regulation.... Why oh why would you go to all that hassle just to save a few bucks on materials??? It doesn't even look good...?


    Sent from iDave using Tapatalk
    1.1 Normal Burms (Het Albino)
    0.1 Green Burm (Het Granite)
    1.0 Albino Green (Het Granite)
    0.1 Cali King
    1.2 Rabbits (\"forward thinking...\")

    facebook.com/Munnza

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •