Thread: Please help me! Burm with RI

Please help me! Burm with RI

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and well this is my first post!

I've been keeping reptiles for quite a few years now, and this is the first time I have a sick reptile and it happens to be my 2.8m albino burm male..
    I have him since he was a baby!

Recently I noticed some wheezing, rubbing his nose against the sides of his cage and some other typical RI symptoms. I have done quite a lot of research and got some home remedies for treating RI but I will rather stay away from them as I don't want to put my poor boy's life in danger.

What I want to know from you guys is, would raising humidity and temperature have any effect? I am currently monitoring the housing conditions very attentively as I was wondering if I am maybe doing something wrong here. I know that I should go to the vet and get this poor guy treated properly but I just want to get to the cause first here and if raising humidity and temperature would help I would like to first give it a try!

Thank you for your reading

I would not really call it a RI yet, it could be just a cold. Is he yawning a lot, sneezing, stopped eating, hearing popping sounds?

Heat and Humidity are important, but more important is size of cage. They need to have a long enough space to stretch out, and they need some form of height to allow for gravity to pull out any mucus to expel, 6" is plenty.

Thank you Jermosh for your reply! I haven't seen him yawning, but I have noticed some sneezing the past two days. As far as eating goes... He doesn't want to take even a rat! Which gets me quite worrying because he never refused any food, even at shedding time.

Here is his enclosures dimensions:
    6ft long x 3ft high x 2ft deep
    (It was a Iguana cage first - see picture)

Currently in the enclosure for heating is:
    3x heating pads
    1x Ceramic Heat emitter (With a protecting cover)

Temperature ranges from 80.6F to 85F

Humidity 35-50% (I know it needs some attention and I am currently misting the cage to increase it)

Here is the photo of the enclosure:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0771[1].jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	172

Thanks!

Cage looks good, , you need to get temps and humidity up. Either change the substrate or get more water bowls. I would look into a misting system if you can, lots of options.

If he is not eating and is sneezing, you might be best to get to a vet. Just do your homework, lots will say they do exotics, but dont know anything about serpents.

If he is not eating and is sneezing, you might be best to get to a vet. Just do your homework, lots will say they do exotics, but dont know anything about serpents.[/QUOTE]this is so true. The vet we where using said he knew about exotics so we took a box turtle to him that we had over 8yrs. He said he was fine. He died 2 days later. Then the vet called my husband a few months later to ask how to probe snakes. We have not been back sence. Just becouse there willing to see them doesn't mean they should. Good luck hope your burm recovers soon.
    2.0 normal burmese
    0.1 albino burmese
    1.0 albino granite burmese
    0.1 granite burmese
    1.0 tiger retic
    0.1 albino lavender tiger retic
    0.1 platinum retic
    5.2 ball pythons
    0.1 spider ball
    1.0 granite sided borneo stp
    1.0 borneo stp
    0.1 striped borneo stp
    1.0 spectical caiman
    A lot more to list
    Dandsreptilerescue@yahoo.com

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely see to it getting the temps and humidity up!

As for the eating, he was out for a breeding loan and I assume he is still in 'breeding mode' so that could be a reason for not eating?

He should be eating, breeding loans rarely turn out well. Did you get a contract?

I would certainly get him to the Vet to be tested for RI, fecal, and blood test. Do you know when he pooped last?

I am taking him to a vet on Saturday, I have done my research and the doctor I am taking him to knows reptiles and successfully treated reptiles before, and fully capable of treating a Burm with RI. Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it a lot!

Do you know the person who you loaned him out to well? Do they have any boas?